Friday, June 10, 2011

The First Commandment - Brad Thor (Possible Spoilers)

As promised, Brad Thor's The First Commandment.


    
     Once again I chose a book in this series that was out of order as I didn't know any better, really.  This book could stand alone if I didn't know that it was part of a series.  So, instead of getting into the fact that as a reader, I am somewhat lame with regards to reading books in order, I will simply give my opinions on the book itself.  (I have since read Lions of Lucerne, the first book in the series, and it is a MUST read book.  It was THAT good!)  We also know that I suck for plot summaries, but I'll do my best.

     Plot:  Five terrorists are released from Guantánamo Bay .  Four go on their merry way and one is left to his own devices to seek his revenge on Agent Scot Harvath by targeting his family and friends.  It is up to Scot to track down this mysterious killer and forces the help of The Troll, a nemesis from previous novels.  (I can't wait to read the book where he is introduced!)  

     The First Commandment has all the elements of a really great novel.  Action, suspense, great characters (a lot of which were from previous books that I haven't read yet), revenge, and loads of great description.  I really felt like I was there, at the island or in the hospital room or on the plane with the terrorists who were being released.

     Knowing that there are more books to come has given me a predisposed fear of a cliffhanger, which Thor, thankfully, has not used as of yet.  The story definitely has elements from previous books, but as with The Last Patriot, he manages to be descriptive enough without dragging out fodder from former stories.  If that makes sense to you, you are doing really good!

     There is nothing really bad that I have to say about The First Commandment.  I can't wait to read the rest of the books, then reread these last two books in the order that they were supposed to be read in.  I've said it before, but I'll say it again... READ THESE BOOKS!

No comments:

Post a Comment